Entry tags:
slaineuphemia - au
[ It isn't every day that one finds out that they have an arranged engagement. At first, Euphemia found herself unsure of how to feel about this because she had never met the man she is supposed to marry. But she does suppose during a time of war or at least in hopes to prevent it, it is important to make strong connections and bonds with allies. Taking in a deep breath, she glances at herself in a mirror.
Supposedly she is supposed to meet her future lover. He's to stay for a very days so they would have a chance to get to know each other. At her father is nice enough to allow her that chance. Of course, Euphemia is certain that her elder sister had a hand in that because she always had been protective.
All it is for the moment is tea. Now that she is presented nicely, the young princess will make her way out to the courtyard. It's nerve wrecking, but Euphemia works hard to keep herself calm and collected. Once she nears the gazebo, she pauses and does a small curtsy. ]
I hope I didn't make you wait for too long. If I have, I hope you can forgive me.

no subject
Ever the romanticist, that count.
This is the day he gets to meet his fiancée for the first time, and so he picked out his finest clothes for this occasion, including a sizable bouquet of white anemones and pink azaleas as a gift. He deliberately picked those specific flowers for their meanings; knowing about the language of flowers comes in handy at times. Currently he's seated at a table, watching his reflection rippling in the surface of his tea until something snaps his head forward.
Ah, there she is. It's the princess he's been told about, and so he rises from his seat, pressing a hand to his chest and bowing with a polite smile.]
Please rest assured, Your Highness, as the wait is only brief. Nonetheless I'm truly honored to meet you.
no subject
A faint smile appears on her lips as she watches him. How proper and formal, as she expected him to be. Her family would pick someone that would be a good match for her of course and manners are important. Even if she feels just a little odd about it. ]
Please, you can just call me Euphie. There's no need to be so formal.
[ In fact, she really does prefer it when people aren't. ]
no subject
[Alas, courtly manners remain embedded in him, so it'll be very difficult to push them aside. He takes a good glance at Euphemia, realizing how beautiful and graceful she appears. She seems to be rather gentle as well, the type of woman whose company he'd most appreciate, and also someone his father would approve of as she is a well-known princess. It's still odd, all things considered, but he has to make a good first impression.
Slaine grabs the bouquet and presents it to Euphemia, keeping his eyes locked on to hers with his smile intact.]
It will take some time for me to be accustomed to this arrangement, but I shall try my best.
no subject
[ Having such manners when they are to wed feels so awkward to her, even if they are basically strangers at the moment. Still, she would prefer to marry someone who would treat her as the same level as themselves. They're equal in her eyes after all
Smiling, she takes the bouquet and sniffs it, humming to herself. ]
Likewise. We can learn together in that case.
no subject
Cooperation is essential to get to know one another, I agree.
[Then Slaine adds, in an effort to relate to Euphemia's efforts:]
After all, I believe you're a very capable woman.
no subject
Yes. If we don't then it might not go as well as we hope.
[ And honestly, who wants to be in a relationship if no effort has been made beforehand. ]
So... what can you tell me about yourself? [ Euphemia goes to take a seat so that they can enjoy some tea while talking. ]
no subject
What can I say about myself? I'm uncertain if my military experience is of interest to you.
[Though she could be referring to his hobbies, but it's hard to tell from his end. He knits his brows, glancing at his reflection on the tea for a moment before he shifts his eyes back to Euphemia.]
But I've been piloting for a few years.
no subject
[ Because that is what is important to her. Sure, to her sister and father he's military experience would be important, but it isn't to her. Euphemia wants to know the real him after all.
The mention of piloting does catch her attention though. ]
Oh? Do you enjoy that?
no subject
It's... liberating, I suppose, flying in a plane.
[But he can't really claim he enjoys it if he uses those skills for battle, even though he excels at piloting. There's a pause for him to take a small sip of his tea, then he responds with a gentle shake of his head.]
I'm more interested in books. [A beat.] And plants.
no subject
So books and plants? That sounds wonderful, and I would love to hear more about them! I really enjoy books too. Plants are nice, especially flowers. [ Putting her hands together, she maintains are rather calm time and sits back down properly.
Knowing that they have something in common is nice. ]
no subject
[It doesn't show on Slaine's face, but he's actually self-conscious when it comes to talking about certain aspects of himself that he usually keeps hidden. Still, being able to relate to someone (or have that person relate to him) is what he usually does to win their favor, usually for pragmatic reasons such as gaining allies.
In front of his fiancée, however, this is different, less detached and more personal. Euphemia seems genuinely interested in getting to know him better, so surely he can't let her down... his shoulders slack a little while he fixes his seating posture to be less stiff.]
What books do you enjoy, if you don't mind me asking? I have a preference to poetry and science fiction novels. [His eyes seem to perk up a little at Euphemia enjoying flowers, and so he allows himself a tiny smile.] I can tell you that certain flowers have specific meanings depending on context.
no subject
[ After all, he's free to talk about what he wants, when he wants and she wouldn't be bothered by it at all as long as she learned a little more about him. That is what matters to her after all -- Slaine being comfortable and for them to become closer.
Seeing his smile cause her to smile in return. It would be impossible for her to not after all. Entwining her fingers together, she'll rest her elbows on the table and put her chin on her hands. ]
Poetry sounds lovely. I do enjoy some of that myself, but fantasy novels would have to be my favorite. [ After all, who doesn't love a good story that is set in a far away world that is different from theirs. ] Oh! Really?
Hm.. do you see any here in this garden that would have some?
[ A garden that's filled with different flowers -- all ranging from roses, tulips, lilies and irises. ]
no subject
See this particular shade of red on the tulip? It represents charity, but also trust and fame. [Slaine releases the flower, brushing his fingers at a nearby iris with great care.] Irises tend to symbolize good news, as well as loyalty.
[The various amount of lilies and roses don't escape either his interest or notice, so he cranes his head and extends his hand out to gingerly cup a white lily.]
Lilies stand for many things depending on color. This white one in particular means purity.
no subject
She'l get up from her chair herself and follow after him, standing close. ]
I knew that had meanings, but I never knew that different shades had different ones and there could be more than one.
[ Euphemia tilts her head. ] The white lilies suits you.
no subject
Slaine is grateful that his back is turned to his fiancée so she doesn't have to see his strained face. His features eventually smooth out once he faces her, a faint smile on his face as he releases the flower.]
I disagree. On the contrary, I believe they suit you the best.
[Compared to him, she's very pure.]
no subject
Maybe I should have some in my room then. [ Euphemia hums in thought. ]
I have to admit that I am rather curious about what your favourite flower might be. Do you mind sharing it with me
no subject
He shrugs, glancing back at Euphemia as he knits his brows.]
I'm uncertain if I have a favorite to begin with, but if I have to choose... it would be roses, I suppose.
no subject
And was alive still. ]
You suppose? Hm, they are a lovely colour. Perhaps I should see if we can get some for your room.
no subject
Ah, no, no. That wouldn't be necessary.
[He shakes his head and chuckles. There's no way he'd want to give his fiancée any unwanted troubles, after all.]
I have a garden of my own, you see, filled with various plants. Therefore there is no need for more.
no subject
Not that I mind, of course. But... it could be romantic. [ Seeing flowers and remember each other. Or perhaps she is starting to get ahead of herself.
Then again, Euphemia does want this to be a successful marriage. Not one that's just forced upon them and that's it, but hopefully one that can becoming meaningful too. ]
no subject
[Oh. To possess a flower from Euphemia's garden and take care of it as though it were his own... Slaine gives one of the white lilies a lingering look, his eyebrows hiking up like he's considering the idea.
A memento that reminds him of the woman he plans to marry.]
This flower in particular would be a pleasure to have in my garden. It will fit nicely with the other plants.
[Slaine bends down to cup it with his fingers again, his thumb stroking a petal with great care.]
no subject
[ Giggling, Euphemia claps her hands together as she tries hard to hold back her excitement. One might not think anything about it, such as her elder sister, but Euphemia finds herself to be very happy about this. ]
I'll be sure to have some ready for you when you need to leave then.
no subject
He does, however, release a sound out of his mouth that might as well be a quiet laugh.]
I thank you for your offer, Your Hi— [An abrupt pause. She did say that it's fine not to be so formal.] ... Euphy. Will it suffice?
no subject
Besides, Cornelia wouldn't let her get married to just anyone. ]
Of course it will. Which brings me to ask, do you know how long you are planning to stay for?
no subject
Still... he thinks a kind woman like Euphemia deserves better.
Slaine takes a moment to pause, idly tugging on his cravat.]
According to my father, I will only be allowed to stay in this residence for a week. If all goes well, however, there may be an extension.
[and that's a big "if"]
no subject
[ That is a decent amount of time, but is it really enough? Not just for them to get to know each other, but for Slaine to also be able to experience what her country is like. Euphemia feels like it would be important for him to get that experience.
Even though surely there will be another chance in the future. ]
We should try plan the week out in that case. But, I do hope that everything goes well. It would be nice to spend more time with you.
no subject
[Limited as the time may be, Slaine should be able to learn as much as he can about Euphemia — that is, if he plays his cards right. How she lives in her residence, her thought process in this arrangement, anything interesting that he can keep in mind. He'd like to learn about her country now that he's in it, of course.
Ah, but what else can they do? Slaine ponders, knitting his brows just enough for creases to form on his forehead as he cups his chin.]
I would be interested in hearing what you have in mind for activities.
no subject
[ One buildings, areas of the city. Most of that is gone, but there are always a few here and there to protect the history of their country. After all, people do want to learn about the past of where they live and what better way than keeping some of the buildings alive. ]